The 2021-22 Federal Budget should invest in better roads, rest areas and bridges.
Upgrading the road network improves road safety and boosts productivity. Infrastructure investment to improve road access for High Productivity Freight Vehicles would reduce the number of truck movements, reduce congestion growth, lower freight costs, and use trucks which are safer, quieter and greener.
The Australian Government’s infrastructure agenda should:
- Target road investments to fix gaps in road safety and access for High Productivity Freight Vehicles
- Further invest in upgrading truck rest areas, freight routes, regional roads and bridges
- Adopt safety and productivity standards for investing in national highways, including for rest areas, safety, High Productivity Freight Vehicle access and replacing one-way bridges.
- Prioritise better outcomes and policy by investing in improved capability and resourcing of the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, and Infrastructure Australia.
The Government should also:
- Support industry and remove barriers to reducing emissions from transport
- Lead national reform agendas for removing stamp duty and payroll tax
- Invest in extending safety focused crash investigations to heavy vehicles
- Not proceed with the mandatory super increase.