Heavy vehicle permit approvals for road access are blocking growth and investment in the Australian economy as trucks, goods and equipment are buried in red tape at the roadside.
In a submission to a Parliamentary inquiry into business investment, the ATA has called for digital, time sensitive and responsive solutions to road access.
Payment terms must also be addressed as small trucking businesses are vulnerable to adverse changes in their payment terms, often with little capacity to negotiate with large customers.
The ATA submission recommendeds:
- Innovative reform of permits and the Heavy Vehicle National Law.
- A mandatory payments code to address payment terms issues facing small trucking businesses.
- Independent regulation of toll road, landside port, and local government access charges for heavy vehicles.
- Refunds of higher truck tolls when toll roads fail to deliver time savings.
- Independent road funding decisions.
- Accelerated depreciation and the removal of stamp duty for heavy vehicle trucks and trailers.