Quicker refuelling and greater vehicle range are a potential opportunity for hydrogen fuelled heavy vehicles. However, take up within industry will remain low until refuelling infrastructure is in place, it is demonstrated that whole of life cycle running costs reduce and hydrogen fuel cell heavy vehicles become commercially available.
In developing a national hydrogen strategy, governments should:
- Address the commercial availability of hydrogen fuelled vehicles and refuelling infrastructure
- Not impose additional costs on trucking businesses
- Incentivise the purchase of new heavy vehicles
- Not replace the need to encourage emissions reductions and improve fuel security for diesel fuelled heavy vehicles
- Integrate the hydrogen strategy with the longer-term approach to ensuring fuel security for road transport.