The 2019 Australian Infrastructure Audit makes several important findings on our freight networks and the challenges that they face. The findings by Infrastructure Australia highlight a number of issues and priorities that are well known to the Australian trucking industry.
The ATA submission to Infrastructure Australia, following the 2019 Australian Infrastructure Audit, recommends that governments:
- Implement independent regulation of toll road and landside port charges for heavy vehicles
- Improve heavy vehicle access and rest areas
- Improve the business case assessment of proposed infrastructure projects
- Upgrade rural, regional and remote road infrastructure
- Implement supply-side reforms to how roads are funded
- Better integrate land use and transport planning
- Deliver practical, evidence-based policies to reduce urban congestion.